Claire Chiang See Ngoh
Senior Vice President, Banyan Tree Holdings Limited. Chairperson, China Business Development. Managing Director, Retail Operations Chairperson, Banyan Tree Global Foundation
Co-founder of Banyan Tree Hotels & Resorts, a leading developer and
manager of premium resorts, urban hotels and destination spas around the
She is a Senior Vice President of Banyan Tree Holdings Ltd. and Chairperson for China Business Development. Since 2006, she focuses on the acquisition of new management contracts, and oversees key strategic issues in organisational and human capital capability. She also chairs Banyan Tree Global Foundation Ltd, responsible for directing and guiding the evolving process of the group’s commitment to corporate social responsibility and its mission to “Embrace the
Environment, Empower the People”.
Claire Chiang is founder and executive director of the Banyan Tree Gallery where she pioneered Banyan Tree Group’s retail businesses, and oversaw the launch of over 70 retail outlets worldwide. She holds executive and nonexecutive directorships in three subsidiaries and companies affiliated with Banyan Tree Holdings and holds directorships in four family holding companies.
Claire Chiang is one of the first two women to be admitted to the Singapore Chinese Chamber of Commerce & Industry (SCCCI) in 1995 and holds directorships in the Wildlife Reserves Singapore Conservation Fund and Mandai Park Holdings.
In 2015, she was elected Director of the Board for Denmark based ISS A/S. In the same year, she was appointed the Advisory Board Member of Academy of Chinese Medicine, Singapore (CMS) and in April 2016 she was elected Director of the Board for Dufry AG, Switzerland. Most recently in December 2017 she was appointed a Member of the Singapore Biennale 2019 Steering Committee.
Government of Singapore
Justice of the Peace appointed by past Singapore President SR Nathan since 2008
Deputy Registrar of Marriages cum Licensed Solemnizer
Singapore Nominated Member of Parliament for two terms (1997-2001).
French Embassy, Singapore
Personal Assistant to the Cultural Counsellor (1975 – 1978)
Executive Entrepreneurial Business Seminar, School of Economics and Management (2011)
National University of Singapore
Research Fellow, Centre for Advanced Studies (1990-1994)
Tutor, Sociology Department (1982-1990)
University of Hong Kong
Senior Demonstrator, Sociology (1978 – 1981)
Academic & Professional Qualifications
Master in Philosophy, University of Hong Kong, 1985
Bachelor of Arts (2nd Class Honours), University of Singapore, 1977
Diploma, Sorbonne University, 1975
Bachelor of Arts, University of Singapore, 1974
Her numerous publications include “Stepping Out – The Making of Chinese Entrepreneurs”, Prentice
“My Journey and After”, 2011, World Scientific Publishing Company Pte Ltd, a 768 page book in Chinese that profiles her journey and the woman from childhood through adulthood, marriage, motherhood, community engagement, politics and business.
1) Claire Chiang and Chan Kwok Bun, Stepping Out , The Making of Chinese Entrepreneurs, Prentice Hall and Centre for Advanced Studies, National University of Singapore, l994.
2) Claire Chiang and Chan Kwok Bun, “Cultural Values and Immigrant Entrepreneurship : theChinese in Singapore” in Reve Europeene des Migrations Internationales, Volume 10 – No 2 , l994, pp 87- 118.
3) Claire Chiang and Chan Kwok Bun, “Values and Chinese Immigrant Entrepreneurship in Singapore” in 国立民族学博物馆研究报, National Museum of Ethnology, l994, pp 633-656.
4) Claire Chiang and Chan Kwok Bun, “儒家的价值观与新加坡侨企业家精神” in 中华文化
论坛, 中华文化论坛杂志社, 第 3 期, 1994, pp 60-66.
5) 张齐娥与陈国贲 Claire Chiang and Chan Kwok Bun: 《出路, 新加坡华裔企业家的成 长》, 中国社会科学出版社，1996 年.
6) Claire Chiang & Chan Kwok Bun (eds.), 出路-最佳电视连续剧, Pearson Education Asia Pte Ltd in conjunction with Television Corporation of Singapore, 2000. This book was adapted from Stepping Out: The Making Of Chinese Entrepreneurs by Claire Chiang and Chan Kwok Bun, published by Prentice Hall and Centre for Advanced Studies, National University of
7) Claire Chiang, “Balancing Voluntarism and Professionalism” in Dr Gillian Koh and Dr Ooi Giok Ling (eds.), State-Society Relations in Singapore, Oxford University Press, 2000, pp190-197.
8) Claire Chiang, “Rethinking the Singapore Identity: Challenges for the government and the people” in Lee Tsao Yuan (ed.), Perspectives: 2000 & Beyond – Global Trends-implications for global finance and the conduct of business in Asia Pacific, The Institute of Policy Studies, Singapore, 2000, Chapter 7, pp 73-78.
9) Claire Chiang, “In conversation with Claire Chiang, Nominated Member of Parliament” in Dr Kwok Kian-Woon (ed.), Singapore 2001 – The Official Year Book, Ministry of Information and the Arts, 2001, pp 74-76.
10) Claire Chiang, “Bridging the Divisions of Gender, Age and Culture in the Development of a Culture of Peace”, in Phyllis G L Chew (ed.), Towards a Culture of Peace: Perspectives, United Nations Association of Singapore, 2002, pp 45-53.
11) Claire Chiang, “Foreword” in Ivy J. Yong, Candle Burning Bright – A Story about the late Dr. Diana Young (1957-2004), Maximillan & Price Pte Ltd, 2005.
12) Claire Chiang, “Preface” in Stephen Young, Moral Capitalism 道德资本主义-协调私立与 公益, 上海三联书店, 2010.
13) Claire Chiang, “Foreword” in Norma Sit, Gorgeous, Sexy, Rich and Strong – A Compass for living and loving for all times, Marshall Cavendish International (Asia) Private Limited, 2010.
14) Claire Chiang, “Message” in Enabling Mobile Work – An Employers’ Guide in the New
Economy, Employer Alliance Secretariat, 2010.
15) Claire Chiang, My Journey and After, World Scientific Publishing Company Pte Ltd, 2011, a 768 page book in Chinese that profiles her journey and the woman from childhood through adulthood, marriage, motherhood, community engagement, politics and business.
16) Claire Chiang, “Foreword” in Can we have it all? – Work Life Integration, Employer Alliance Secretariat, 2012.
17) Claire Chiang, “Foreword” in Sher-li Torrey and Ruth Wong (eds.), Successful Work-Life Balance – The Flexi-Work Way Real life examples & useful tips, From Mums & Companies who have done it, Ray Media Pte Ltd, 2013.
18) Claire Chiang, “A Silent Revolution” in Euston Quah(ed.), Singapore 2065, World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte Ltd, 2016, pp 57-61.
19) Claire Chiang, “Dreams in the Making” in H. Koon Wee and Jeremy Chia (eds.), Singapore Dreaming, Managing Utopia, Asian Urban Lab c/o W Architects, 2016, pp 283-290.
– Supernova Category for the inaugural The Women Entrepreneur Award (WEA) 2017, awarded by Mediacorp Singapore
– Distinguished Arts and social Sciences Alumni Award 2016, awarded by the Faculty of Arts & Social Sciences, National University of Singapore
– Dayawati Modi Stree Shakti Centenary Award 2015, awarded by Stree Shakti – The Parallel Force, New Delhi
– Long Service Award 2015, Board of Visiting Justices & Board of Inspection, Singapore
– Woman Entrepreneur of the Year Award 2015 at the Asia Corporate Excellence and Sustainability (ACES) Awards 2015, Singapore
– Community Retailer Award 2015, awarded by Hong Kong Retail Industry Trade, Hong Kong
– Outstanding ASEAN Entrepreneur’s Award 2015 (ASEAN Women Entrepreneurs Forum), Vietnam
– Aug 2014, Awarded the Public Service Star BBM, Singapore Government
– 2011, Outstanding Volunteer Award by the Ministry of Community, Youth and Sports, Singapore.
– 2010, “Leadership for the Environment” award by Singapore Tatler Leadership Award, Singapore
– 2009, Hospitality Lifetime Achievement Award by China Investment Summit , Shanghai
– 2008, “Leader Mentor Award” by Global Leadership & Mentoring Congress, Singapore
– 2008, Pingat Bakti Masyarakat (PBM, Public Service Medal) by the government of Singapore
– 2006, Friends of MCYS Award – by the Ministry of Community, Youth and Sports, Singapore
– 2004, PATA Gold Awards – Grand Award – Heritage (Museum Shop by Banyan Tree), Thailand
– 2003, PATA Gold Awards – Gold Award – Heritage (Banyan Tree & Angsana Gallery), Thailand
– 2001, “Rotarian of the Year” by Rotary Club of Suntec City 2001/2002, Singapore
– 1999, Her World “Women of the Year” Award, Singapore
– 1996, Louis Féraud Les Honours, Singapore
Name of Corporation
BANYAN TREE GALLERY (SINGAPORE) PTE LTD
BANYAN TREE GLOBAL FOUNDATION LIMITED
RHYC PTE. LTD.
MANDAI PARK HOLDINGS PTE LTD
WILDLIFE RESERVES SINGAPORE CONSERVATION FUND
MAMABOSS PTE. LTD
NATIONAL ARTS COUNCIL
SINGAPORE ART MUSEUM
BANYAN TREE GALLERY (THAILAND) LIMITED
TIAN RONG (TIANJIN) ENTERPRISE MANGEMENT
CONSULTING SERVICE CO LTD
CHAIR, SBC (SINGAPORE BOOK COUNCIL)
CHAIR, SFP (SHIRIN FOZDAR PROGRAM) SINGAPORE MANAGEMENT UNIVERSITY
ADVISORY COUNCIL ON FAMILY AND COMMUNITY RELATIONS COUNCIL (ACCORD, FAMILY &
COMMUNITY), MINISTRY OF DEFENCE – CO CHAIR
PIONEER MEMBER, DAC (DIVERSITY ACTION COMMITTEE)
HONORARY COUNCIL MEMBER, SCCCI (SINGAPORE CHINESE CHAMBER OF COMMERCE AND
ADVISORY BOARD MEMBER, CMS (ACADEMY OF CHINESE MEDICINE,SINGAPORE)
ADVISOR, CRIB (CREATING RESPONSIBLE AND INNOVATIVE BUSINESSES)
MEMBER, IWF (INTERNATIONAL WOMEN’S FORUM)
MEMBER, ROTARY CLUB OF SUNTEC CITY
MENTOR, YWLC (YOUNG WOMEN’S LEADERSHIP CONNECTION), PEOPLE’S ASSOCIATION
ADVISOR, HELP (HELP EVERY LONE PARENT)
MEMBER, SINGAPORE BIENNALE 2019 STEERING COMMITTEE
PAST DIRECTORSHIPS AND APPOINTMENTS
CHAIR, JURONG BIRD PARK (PTE) LTD
CHAIR, SINGAPORE ZOOLOGICAL GARDENS
CHAIR, WILDLIFE RESERVES SINGAPORE PTE LTD
DIRECTOR, SINGAPORE CHINESE CHAMBER OF COMMERCE AND INDUSTRY
DIRECTOR, TAN KAH KEE FOUNDATION
MEMBER, TRICOM (TRIPARTITE COMMITTEE IN WORK-LIFE STRATEGY), MINISTRY OF MANPOWER
MEMBER, BOG, RGS (BOARD OF GOVERNORS OF RAFFLES GIRLS’ SECONDARY SCHOOL), MINISTRY
ADVISOR, ROMANCING SINGAPORE (MINISTRY OF COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT, YOUTH AND
CO-CHAIRPERSON, PRO-FAMILY BUSINESS COUNCIL
COUNCIL MEMBER, SCCCI CAREER WOMEN’S GROUP (CWG)
EVALUATION PANEL CO-CHAIRPERSON, PARTNER CONNECTION FUND
MEMBER, BOVJ (BOARD OF VISITING JUSTICES AND BOARD OF INSPECTION), MINISTRY OF HOME
MEMBER, CONSERVATION ADVISORY PANEL, URBAN REDEVELOPMENT AUTHORITIES
MEMBER, TALENTS ADVISORY COUNCIL, PEOPLE’S ASSOCIATION
NOMINATED MEMBER OF PARLIAMENT, MEMBER OF PARLIAMENT, SINGAPORE
PRESIDENT, SINGAPORE COMPACT FOR CORPORATE SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY
RESOURCE PERSON, SOUTH WEST CDC
VICE-CHAIR FOR ASIA, GLOBAL GOVERNING BOARD OF THE CAUX ROUND TABLE